Addiction can be one of the most paralyzing issues we all face. One thing that those struggling with addiction have in common is the desire to look outside of oneself to feel whole. That’s the root of all addiction.
Addiction can look and be different for everyone. I work with individuals struggling with alcohol and chemical addictions, gaming, and food addictions. We work in a collaborative process to create a comprehensive treatment plan to identify ways in which to support your recovery and create more fulfillment and stability in your life.
Additional behavioral addictions that I can help support individuals with include sex and love addiction, overspending or gambling addiction, and porn addiction. Behavioral addictions are not black and white. Some behaviors can be considered healthy for some people, while for others, it can be a detriment to one’s life or wellness. Thus we will always create a personalized treatment plan to determine what’s healthy for you and your life.
Some signs that addiction is an issue for you:
- Hiding and Secrecy: You make it a point to hide or withhold information on your compulsive behaviors.
- Loss of Control: You’re noticing that you’re spending more time and days engaging in the compulsive behaviors than you used to.
- You Keep Using and Can’t Stop: You’re still using and engaging in the dysfunctional behaviors despite the consequences (loss of friendships, health is suffering, DUI, etc.)
- Neglecting other Commitments: You’re spending more time on the compulsive behaviors versus spending time on activities that matter to you such as spending time with family, going to work, meeting with friends.
- Risk-Taking: You take more risks and put yourself on the line over time and as the addiction progresses.
A Note on Sex Addiction:
Currently, there appears to be discussion if sex addiction is a real thing. I can share that in my experience and work, I’ve found that sexual compulsivity exists and can manifest in many forms. Some examples include the following:
- Pornography addiction
- Compulsive masturbation
- Risky sexual behaviors
- Toxic relationships
- Cyber Sex
It is not up to me to tell you whether or not you are a sex addict, but if you’re questioning or have concerns related to certain sexual behaviors or have experienced significant consequences because of them, it’s important that we look at what’s going on, and support you in creating healthy sexuality. We, at Recovery to Wellness, are sex positive, and support you in defining your healthy sexuality that align with your core values.
If you’d like to take the first steps to start feeling better, please contact me today for an appointment.